Statement



 Before I started taking visual communication classes, I thought that I would just be learning how to use programs. Little did I know that there is so much more to visual communication than just knowing the computer! I first realized this in my 2D class while learning about the principles of gestalt. The teacher was explaining something I had always felt was there but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I had subconsciously known that something pulled a design together and made it unified. After learning this I couldn’t wait to find out more about how to make my designs work.

I feel like I progressed most in my visual communication class. My first assignment was to define graphic design.  I looked at various definitions and combined them into this sentence: Graphic Design is a creative visual process using typography, symbols, and images to communicate a message or idea to a targeted audience. I was early to class the day this definition was due and decided to draw an image of an eye with a triangle projecting from the center and the word “communication” because I was thinking about the class I was about to attend. When the teacher was lecturing he pointed at the image I had drawn and said “this is visual communication”. That is when it struck me that my drawing had sent the message as well as a sentence could.

Looking back at my work, I realize I have learned about the strengths of image, typography, and configuration. Simplifying an image helps it become easily understood by the viewer, as exemplified in my “toucan image”; while combining many different images creates a whole new meaning as demonstrated in “Visual Rhetoric of a Microphone”. In my “Performing Arts Poster” and “Leonardo Brochure” I learned about creating hierarchy in typography. I feel my strongest work is the configuration of typography and image in "toucan O" and "Typogriffin" because letters and imagery have become completely inseparable:  letters are the image, the image is letters. I cannot wait to apply what I have learned and learn even more in the semesters to come.

I feel like I have come a long way from where I was before I began working towards my BFA. My experiences thus far have molded me into a designer.  A designer creates messages that people can understand in a visual way. I find myself analyzing design all around me from a cereal box to the billboards on the freeway, wondering if I would have done it the same way. I see design. I appreciate design. I create design. I will make visual communication my career, continuously building on the knowledge acquired from my professors, employers, and colleagues.